The Green Pharmacy Program is a partnership between pharmacies, health professionals, and public and private organizations that are committed to providing safe disposal for unwanted medicines.

Here’s how it works:

  • First, please place all medications or supplements into a zip-lock bag.
  • Pour liquid medications into a bag with something absorbent like kitty litter or coffee grounds.
  • Keep the medication containers until you dispose of the medications at the clinic.
  • Bring your medications to the clinic for disposal anytime during regular hours.
  • Once the medication is disposed of at the clinic, mark out personal information and recycle the containers.


Please note that we cannot accept the following items:

  • Controlled Substances
    • Pain Medications: Methadone, MS Contin, Oxycontin/Oxycodone, Percodan/Percocet & Vicodin
    • Anti-Anxiety Medications: Valium & Xanax
    • Stimulant Medications: Adderall & Ritalin
  • Needles and Sharps
  • Syringes
  • Lancets
  • Inhalers
  • IV bags
  • Bloody or Infectious Waste (something that can spread disease)
  • Personal Care Products
  • Empty Containers
  • Hydrogen Peroxide
  • Aerosol Cans


Needles and Sharps

To dispose of needles and sharps, return them in an approved container to a hospital, pharmacy, or hazardous waste center.

Contact your local Department of Public Health and Household Hazardous Waste Center for information.

Green Pharmacy Logo

Disposal locations include all of our clinic locations, as well as the following locations in the community.


Disposal Locations

Del Norte County Transfer Station
1700 State St
Crescent City, CA 95531

Humboldt Sanitation and Recycling
2585 Central Ave
McKinleyville, CA 95519

Arcata Community Recycling Center
1380 9th St
Arcata, CA 95521

Eureka Community Recycling Center
1059 West Hawthorne St
Eureka, CA 95501

Redwood Pharmacies
2850 F St
Eureka, CA 95501

Eel River Disposal & Resource Recovery
965 Riverwalk Dr
Fortuna, CA 95540

Redway Transfer Station
Conservation Camp Rd, 1/4 miles East of Redwood Dr
Redway, CA 95560


Hazardous Substances

Contact your local household hazardous waste center for disposal options.

Del Norte Waste Management Authority: (707) 465-1100

Humboldt Waste Management Authority: (707) 441-2005


Controlled Substances

Contact local law enforcement, municipal water agencies, or household hazardous waste centers to inquire about
safe and legal disposal options for controlled substances. These agencies may offer one-day pharmaceutical
take-back events for residents.